Wednesday, October 04, 2006

New Media Focus Group.

Last night I found myself in front of a microphone again, but this time I wasn’t being recorded, I was giving a talk to a room full of people. The occasion was the New Media Focus Group organised by Amy Zuckerman, tireless founder of Hidden Tech and of the strategic marketing firm A-Z International.

Hidden Tech is a network of some 1500 small businesses in the Pioneer Valley region of Massachusetts, and it includes a remarkable number of talented “New Media” professionals. The goal of last night’s forum was to highlight these new media businesses and the potential for building bridges with other business people and academics in the region. More details about the evening and the speakers can be found at Hidden Tech’s website. It was a great opportunity to meet some of the extraordinary talent in this area, from documentary film makers and video game designers to other voice artists and audio producers. I have long been aware of the presence here of some of these people and had been in touch with many of them by email or telephone, but was still surprised to find how many I had not yet discovered. The chance to be one of the speakers was one that fell into my lap by great good fortune. Amy had posted a request on the Hidden Tech email list for help scanning materials for her presentation, and I responded. I refused payment so she offered me something far more valuable, namely a place on this program. One of the highlights of the evening for me was finally getting to meet Jill Connolly, singer and voice talent extraordinaire, formerly of Boston but now working out of her studio in the beautiful Berkshire foothills and her media collaborative in Greenfield, MA. Jill and I had talked on the phone when I was just starting out two years ago, and I am so looking forward to getting to know this lovely person better.

A few months ago after a business net-working event and a visit to a local producer’s studio, I vowed to get out more. Last night I was reminded that I still don’t do it enough. There are fascinating people out there and great opportunities. Despite working around the globe, this can be a very solitary business in the New Media Age. It’s important to fight the isolation, even if one doesn’t feel deprived. These reminders of what it’s like out there in the world are so important. I’m looking forward to being a part of Hidden Tech’s bridge-building enterprise and to seeing the realisation of the Pioneer Valley’s potential as a media hub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home