Friday, October 20, 2006

No rest for the weary…

The trip to Boston should have been plenty for one week, but I had an obligation to give a talk with a group from Hidden Tech at a forum on virtual companies at the New England Business Expo in Worcester, Mass., yesterday, so off I went. This time I had no audiobook to keep me company, but I dug up a 12-hour CD set on learning German that my mother had abandoned, and tossed that in the car for the trip. I studied German for 10 years but this production took a very different approach from anything I had heard before and it was a great refresher course.

In our room at the conference center I saw some familiar faces and many new ones; a fellow Hidden Techie asked me about my work and then quickly asked for my card, for as it turns out she is a video producer in Worcester. I thought I had already scoured the city of Worcester for contacts but it amazes me how many are still turning up. So the event started auspiciously. I’m actually rather enjoying the talk circuit – that was a part of my previous life as a biologist that was gratifying (I once was invited to give a talk about my bird research at UCLA – I sure would welcome an all-expenses-paid trip to Los Angeles now…). Still, I was a bit keen to get back to the studio so I high-tailed it out of there after the presentations, did a speed-tour of the exhibitors at the expo and got some information about commercial production at a cable company, then jumped into the car (lunchless this time), paid for parking (a mere bee-sting at $7 for 2 ½ hours), and studied German all the way home. No unwelcome surprises today and I had time to get some work done. I need to brush up on my Georgia accent now, as Miss Lizzy needs one – she is a lizard who will be helping young children read their letters home from camp. That’s on the books for today, along with a phone gig and a short corporate narration.

There’s no place like home.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,

The best part, always, is coming home.

Richard

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home