Thursday, October 26, 2006

Voice artist wins big at Ad Club of Western Massachusetts event.

My friend and fellow voice talent Steve Anthony reminded me a few weeks ago of the existence of the Ad Club of Western Massachusetts. Although I had looked at their membership list some time ago, I have not really given them the attention they deserve. And after hearing a testimonial from Janet Ault on Pat Fraley’s Gypsy’s Guide to the Business of Voiceover (she describes how her experience volunteering at her local ad club’s golfing tournament led to a VO gig that covered her own investment and then some) I decided to explore and get out of the studio again. I reserved a spot at this month’s Ad Club luncheon, which took place yesterday at the Sheraton in Springfield.

I arrived about 15 minutes late since my directions took me as far as Main Street and then dropped me like a hot potato, so I had to do a bit of hunting to find the place. When I walked into the hotel ballroom and saw the sea of over a hundred unfamiliar faces I just took the first seat I saw and hoped for the best – that whoever I was seated next to would be open to talking to a stranger, and that I would be able to make intelligent conversation.

I needn’t have worried. To my left was the Director of Communications at the Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation, who told me fascinating things about the history of his organisation (my family was adopted last month by a terrific German Shepherd, and I love hearing about guide dogs). Next to him was a gentleman in sales from a production company I had been trying to get noticed by for 2 years. When I told him I do voiceovers he got animated and asked for a business card as they are always looking for new talent. That was as far as I got with my table mates before the program started – a talk by internet journalist and blogger Tish Grier. We heard about some of the key elements of blogging, such as the importance of having biographical information on your blog page so that readers can connect with you, the ethical ramifications of blogging, and much more.

After the talk there was, unexpectedly, a raffle. Several companies had contributed prizes and the winners' names were pulled from a basket that had been at the registration table labeled “add your business card if you would like to be on our mailing list”. The first three winners received a teddy bear from Hampden Bank. After that, I suddenly envisioned myself winning a prize. I rarely win anything in raffles or contests, and yet I felt this so keenly that I actually took my little satchel off my lap so I could get up in case I won something and had to go claim my prize. And can you believe it, my card was the next one pulled from that basket. This prize had been donated by Business West, and it was two tickets to an Arlo Guthrie concert next month. I LOVE Arlo Guthrie. How did they know?? I bounded up to the front of the room to receive this amazing gift, and floated back to my seat with it. Luckily for me my benefactor at Business West stopped at my table on her way out of the room and I had a chance to tell her how very much I appreciated those tickets – but I think she had already figured that out.

Yes, this particular expedition away from the studio was definitely a winner. I came away with much more than I brought, and gave away my last business card, which is a good thing, because my new ones are waiting for me. Which may mean another road trip. Oh and by the way – the gig I missed by being away for a few hours last week? That gentleman called me yesterday and told me his client had not liked the voice he’d had to hire instead of mine.

The karmic forces of the last week are making me dizzy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home